A very common situation. You just received a couple of friends in your home and the first thing they want to know: “What’s the Wifi password and username?”. Then you look at them a little embarrassed and answer “Wait a moment”. After five minutes you find yourself here learning how to find your wifi password once you forgot it. So, let’s find it.
On windows machines
If you use windows system, you can rest. The system automatically save the password and it is possible to easily check it out whenever you need. Just follow the steps below:
- Select the “Network Connections” window (usually this is on the bottom left of the screen, on the wifi icon that shows the available wireless networks)
- Click on “Change adapter settings” or a similar option (depending on windows version)
- On the new screen, right click on the Network adapter you are currently using and choose the option status.
- On the new window, chose “Wireless properties” and then “Security”
- The new window will show the Network Security Key and Encryption Type. To see the password you should mark the option “show characters”
Note that in order to this procedure to work, it is necessary to be connected to the wireless network. For retrieving the password offline, you should use a specific software:
- WirelessKeyView is a well known and simple application which can be downloaded for free from the developer’s website. The program is very intuitive and you can use it to find out the password without much effort.
- Xfinity Router Login
- Nighthawk Router Login
On MAC machines
On MAC systems it is not a big deal also to recover your wifi password. Let’s show the easiest way:
- Locate the Applications folder inside the Utilities Folder.
- Inside the Applications folder, find and open the “Keychain Access” app.
- This application saves all the passwords and login information. After you open it, identify your network on the list presented and select it.
- Just mark the “Show password” checkbox. You will be requested to enter your administrator password. Do it and the wifi network’s password will be displayed.
This procedure can be done without being connected to your wifi network.
In case you had any problem with the above procedures (That’s highly unlikely to happen), there are still two actions you can take.
Retrieve wifi password by accessing the router
- Access the router’s administrator page by typing on your browser the IP address: 192.168.1.0 In order to that you need to be connected to the router, by wireless connection or directly by an ethernet cable. If the IP address of your router is not this one, check out here how to find the right one.
- Login to the Administrator’s page and go to the wireless section.
- Once you reached the Wireless section, the password will be displayed along with other data about network security.
Retrieve wifi password by resetting the router
This option will be performed only in case you no longer remember your router’s login information. Although it’s the last option, it is so simple as the others already mentioned. Just three steps!
- Press the router’s reset button and hold it for ten seconds or more. Now all the router’s data is restored to default factory settings.
- Access the router’s administrator page and login using the default information. If you do not know the default login username and password, check it out here.
- Enter the “Wireless” section and set up a new password.
And that’s done. With these simple steps you can find your wifi password and inform it to your visits without letting them waiting too much. They will thank you for sure.